Bodybuilder vs CrossFitter Josh Bunch Talks With TheAthleticBuild.com



How did you get started in bodybuilding/fitness?

I got started in bodybuilding when I watched Commando with my Dad. With him and I, it was always about blowing stuff up, and watching men be men. He was in the Military, and started me off loving my country and the impression rather large fit human being had on this world. As a young boy, barely nine years old, I knew I wanted to be fit.
When I turned eighteen, I purchased a membership to a health club after playing sports in high school. Even back then, I knew it would be time consuming, and I wasn’t willing to half-ass it. From that moment, thirteen years ago, I have done nothing but fitness and nutrition.


What made you decide to switch from bodybuilding to CrossFit?


To me, bodybuilding wasn’t so much about sculpting as it was the challenge. The drugs, the manipulation, the crazy tactics always excited me because of what I believed the body could become. But the main draw was the challenge. The dedication bodybuilding required was something most people would never do, and I loved that. But even more than my self-righteous love for that, was my love for difficulty, and overcoming something truly difficult.
I sought out the hardest bodybuilding routines I could find until one day I stumbled upon CrossFit. I watched one video of an athlete performing a classic CrossFit couplet-”Fran”, then I listened to CrossFit’s masterful creator, Coach Greg Glassman, describe his creation. The next day I proceeded to open a CrossFit location, and six months later that was a reality. It was what I was searching for.

Josh Bunch crossfit

Between bodybuilding and CrossFit would you say one is more difficult than the other?

Physically bodybuilding is no match when it comes to CrossFit. The intensity is not even on the same planet, and that is speaking for a competitive bodybuilder who tried to make it as hard as possible realizing long ago that intensity=results.
However, when it comes to diet, bodybuilders might have the edge. Top tier CrossFitters often pair a slight genetic predisposition to being awesome when they show up on the CrossFit field. A perfect diet would of course enhance this, but a sub-par diet doesn’t necessarily detract from it either. Some athletes can just get away with murder when it comes to their food, while others get fat and slow by looking at doughnuts.
Most CrossFitters would have a very hard time living in a pure Caloric deficit day after day in order to look cute for minutes on a stage, only to be judged by a human, and not a clock…not very consistent to say the least. Crushing a five minute workout is by all means more physically demanding that any bodybuilding program to date. Not eating for weeks on end when you are starving, then dehydrating yourself for days before a show is a certain kind of slow burn that many will never know, and never want to know.



If you could give somebody only one fitness tip what would it be?


Community. Buddhist say that only the Snow Lions among us can go it alone, the rest need a Sangha(Virtuous community). A Snow Lion is defined as endlessly cheerful, with never ending courage. If this isn’t you, you need help.
Your success will be directly related to those you surround yourself with so find an environment full of honest, fit, strong, and consistent humans dedicated towards telling the whole truth. A community who murders gossips, and crucifies the self-centered. A community that is only successful, if everyone succeeds.

Do you take any supplements?


The only supplements I take are Creatine, Liquid Egg Whites, BCAA’s, Nuun, and MCT oil.



What does the future hold for you?


I will open a 10,000 square foot CrossFit facility dedicated to saving every last human that trust me enough to walk through the door and stand beside me loyal until their goals are achieved.
I will publish a New York Times bestseller about nutrition/philosophy/CrossFit, and it will beat Tim Ferris’s 4 hour body.
I will Open two more CrossFit affiliates to give to other people who could act as our external hand giving.
I will create salvation for troubled youths, and addicts through fitness.
I will continue to travel around the world spreading the gospel of fitness and nutrition.



No comments:

Post a Comment